Main content and commitments of Ukraine
According to Chapter 18 “Fisheries and Maritime Policies” of Title V “Economic and Sector Cooperation” of the Association Agreement, Ukraine and the EU work together in the conservation and management of living aquatic resources, fight against unreported and unregulated fishing, as well as expansion of the international cooperation in the Black Sea.
In the field of water policy Association Agreement provides for the implementation by Ukraine and the EU member states their international obligations regarding the problems of the Danube river (Chapter 19 “Danube river” of Title V “Economic and Sector Cooperation” of the Agreement). It also sets up necessity of the implementation of Water Framework Directive of the European Parliament and the Council № 2000/60/EU establishing a framework for Community action in the field of water policy, which introduces fundamentally new approach to the water resource management system – so-called integrated water resource management on the basin principle that consider water object basin as a unit of management.
Cluster 5 of Subcommittee on Economic and Other Sector Cooperation, Sub-Committee on Freedom, Security and Justice.
Responsible bodies in Ukraine
Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resourses of Ukraine
Creating of a more favourable circumstances for the work of companies in the field of fishing and maritime industry.
Establishing favourable conditions for the growth of the cargo turnover through this transport corridor, increasing the incomes of the trade companies, as well as acceleration of the commodity flows in general between Ukraine and the EU.
Creating of better business climate in the fisheries and maritime policies allows to establish preconditions for the increasing of employment in this sector and to improve conditions for the development of coastal communities.
Harmonization of this policies with the EU standards allows to create an adequate regulation system of fisheries and maritime industry market.
- State Statistics Service of Ukraine approved the developed nomenclature of the fisheries and aquaculture production (of 13.11.14 № 337) considering the recommendations of the experts of Twinning project “Assistance in the processes of the improvement of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine for the purpose of increasing its potential and production”.
Currently these methods provide comparability with the Statistical Classification of Products according to their Activities of the European Community – СРА2008. List of products, which is provided by the International standard statistical classification of aquatic animals and plants (ISSCAAP), is taken into account.
- The stocks of pelagic and demersal fishes of the Black Sea were estimated in the framework of the implementation of BlackSea4Fish project. Information on the possibility of participation in the international account surveying in the Black Sea for the collection of the high-quality biological data was received.
- Agreement Letter of 25 October 2016 on the reforming the fish protection authorities of Ukraine between the State Agency for Fisheries of Ukraine and Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). It concerns the realization of the project “Technical assistance for the conducting of responsible fisheries and sustainable aquaculture”.
- Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine adopted Law of Ukraine “On amendments to certain legislative acts of Ukraine on implementation of the integrated approaches to water resources management on basin principle” (of 04.10.2016 № 1641-VIII ), which provided:
- hydrographic and water management zoning;
- development of the river basin management plans;
- development of the water management balances;
- determination of the authority of the central and local executive bodies.
- During 2016 active dialog proceeded in the framework of the International Commission for the Protection of the Danube River (ICPDR). For example, in the February two plans on the priorities of rational water use in the Danube river basin for the period to 2021 – Danube River Basin Management Plan and Danube Flood Risk Management Plan were approved.
- Work on the securement of the Ukraine’s participation in the Danube Transnational Programme, which is the EU financial instrument with specific direction and appropriate decision-making mechanism for the integration policy in the Danube Region, is conducted on a regular basis. Currently the positive decision on the assignation of 5 million euros to Ukraine for supporting of financing of Ukraine’s participation in the Danube Transnational Programme was received from the EU Side. The development and signing of the international agreement between the Ukraine’s Government and the European Commission on the Ukraine’s participation in this programme should be a next step.