Main content and obligations of Ukraine
According to the Chapter 8 Section V of the EU – Ukraine Association Agreement the Parties shall promote the development of the mutually beneficial cooperation on civil space research and space applications, in particular in the following areas:
- global navigation satellite systems;
- Earth observation and global monitoring;
- space science and exploration;
- applied space technologies, including launcher and propulsion technology.
Cooperation may also cover the exchange of experience on the management of space research and science institutions, as well as the development of an environment conducive to research and the application of new technologies and adequate protection of the relevant intellectual, industrial and commercial property rights.
Cluster 2 of the Subcommittee on Economic and other Sector Cooperation – industrial and entrepreneurial policy, mining and metallurgy, tourism, space, company law and corporate governance, consumer rights protection, taxation.
Responsible bodies in Ukraine
- State Space Agency of Ukraine;
- The Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine;
- The Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine;
- State Regulatory Service of Ukraine;
- The Ministry of Finance of Ukraine.
- Active participation of Ukraine in European space projects;
- An increase in production volumes of enterprises in the Ukrainian space industry;
- Growth in the volume of exports of Ukrainian space industry products to the European Union;
- Expansion of the use of satellite navigation systems in various sectors of the economy;
- Expansion of the use of data from remote sensing of the Earth.
State of adaptation of Ukrainian legislation and cooperation with the EU
- State Space Agency of Ukraine drafted and approved the Strategy of Space Activities of Ukraine for the period up to 2022. Main approaches for the implementation of the Development Strategy include maintaining the status of Ukraine as a state with a space program, eventual membership in the European Space Agency, active participation in European and international space programs and projects, including a program to combat space debris, and the introduction of European standards for space activities in Ukraine.
- A draft law “On State Regulation in the Field of Remote Sensing of the Earth” was developed and agreed by EU experts. The new plan for the Implementation of the Association Agreement between Ukraine and the EU provides for organization of the exchange of data from remote sensing of the Earth with European organizations.
- A draft law “On State Regulation in the Field of Satellite Navigation” was developed and agreed upon by EU experts. In the future, it is expected to approve rules of activity and technical regulations in the field of satellite navigation and extend the operation of the EGNOS functional satellite systems to the territory of Ukraine. Institutions of the Ukrainian space sector with the participation of EU partners prepared project proposals to compete for participation in the Horizon-2020 program. 4 projects in the space sphere are being implemented: “Prediction of Geospace Radiation Environment and Solar Wind Parameters – PROGRESS (the timeframe for implementation is 01.02.2015-01.01.2018); “The European network for observing our changing planet – ERA-PLANET”;
- Cooperation includes exchanging information on policies and programs between Parties, opportunities for cooperation and joint projects, in particular, the participation of Ukrainian enterprises and institutions in the transport and space spheres of the EU Research and Innovation Programme “Horizon 2020”.