Main content and commitments of Ukraine
The cooperation in the field of statistics is stipulated in Chapter 5 “Statistics”, Title V “Economic and Sector Cooperation” of the Association Agreement between Ukraine and the EU.
Ukraine is expected to implement EU legislation (acquis) in the field of statistics. The provisions of the legislation are set out in the annually updated Compendium of Statistical Requirements (by agreement of the parties it has been added to the Association Agreement).
Cluster 1 of the Subcommittee on Economic and Other Sector Cooperation of Ukraine-EU Association Committee.
Responsible bodies in Ukraine
State Statistics Service of Ukraine
Improvement in the dissemination of official (state) statistical information through modern and integrated dissemination tools, in particular websites and easy to use databases, etc.
Improvement in the quality of official (state) statistics in cooperation with other producers and data users, development and implementation of a quality assurance system, including the preparation and publication of quality reports.
The state of adaptation of Ukrainian legislation and cooperation with the EU
The draft Law “On Amendments to Certain Laws of Ukraine Regulating State Statistical Activities” is being supported.
The bill is aimed at harmonising the national statistical system with the relevant EU principles in terms of the conditions for carrying out the activities of the bodies of the state statistics national system, in particular with the principle of professional independence.
It provides for the creation of the National Council for Statistics, aimed at resolving the issue of consolidating the coordinating role of State Statistics Service of Ukraine in the formation of an integral national system of official statistics and ensuring its compliance with the fundamental principles of official statistics of the United Nations, the European Statistics Code of Practice, and the statistical requirements compendium.
The Recommendations on the preparation and approval of a standard report on the quality of state statistical supervision (the order of the State Committee on Statistics No. 27 dated February 5, 2014) were approved.
A Global Assessment of the National Statistical System of Ukraine was conducted.
Methodological provisions to ensure statistical confidentiality in the bodies of state statistics (Order of the State Committee on Statistics dated February 15, 2017 No. 41) were approved.
The implementation of the EU legislative acts in the field of statistics continues.
Statistics development by industry:
- National accounts and macroeconomic statistics. The transition to the compilation of indicators of the system of national accounts in accordance with the requirements of the updated international standards of the System of National Accounts 2008, the European System of National and Regional Accounts 2010 (Council Regulation (EU) No 549/2013) and Classification of Economic Activities 2010 has been completed. In order to provide users of statistical information with long-term time series of data, retrospective calculations of the components of GDP were carried out in accordance with the updated methodology for the period starting from 2000.
- Statistics of industry. Methodological provisions for the calculation of the index of turnover of industrial products based on the calculation of indices of internal and external turnover (Order of the State Statistics Committee of 25.03.2016 № 45) were approved. Starting with data for January 2017, the publication of indices of internal and external turnover in industry is being carried out.
- Statistics of business activity of enterprises. In 2015, statistical calculations of indicators of business confidence in industry, construction, retail, services and financial services were introduced in accordance with the Methodology for calculating business expectancy indicators in harmony with the requirements of the expanded IMF Special Data Dissemination Standard (Order of the State Statistics Committee of December 30, 2014 No. 411) and their promulgation. In 2016, the calculation of the business climate indicator was introduced in accordance with the above-mentioned methodology and its promulgation.
- Statistics of agriculture. The Nomenclature of Agricultural Products was approved (Order of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine No. 300 dated October 15, 2014), which ensures comparability with the categories of the Statistical Classification of Products and is analogous to the Classification of Products by Economic Activities of the EU.
- The Nomenclature of Fisheries and Aquaculture Products was approved (State Statistics Service of Ukraine Order No. 337 of 13 November 2014), as well as forms of state statistical observations on agriculture and fisheries.
- Methodological and practical basis for calculating the basic statistical indicators for the production of livestock and crop production (State Statistics Service of Ukraine Order of 22.11.2016 No. 220 and of 21.07.2017 No. 194) was approved, as well as the compilation of economic accounts of agriculture (Order of the State Statistics Committee of 20.06.2014 No. 196).
- The methodology and tools of state statistical observations on gardening have been improved, as well as for fertilisers and pesticides which have been introduced on the basis of the system of indicators provided for by international standards.
- Environment statistics. The structure of the annual reporting form of respondents is improved, which provides for the separation of waste records at the place of their production and management (collection, utilisation, disposal). Waste management and disposal activities have been adapted in accordance with Annexes 1 and 2 of Directive No. 2008/98/EU. The waste list for materials is harmonised with the latest version of the statistical waste classification (EWC-Stat / Version 4). State statistical observation on forest exploitation has been improved with the aim of using the data in preparing the national inventory of anthropogenic emissions and adsorption of greenhouse gases in accordance with international obligations.
- Labor statistics. Methodological regulations on the classification and analysis of labor and individual forms of work (Order of the State Statistics Committee of 27.01.2017 No. 22) were approved and introduced into the practice. The document was developed in accordance with the updated standards provided for in the Resolution on labor statistics, employment and underutilisation of the workforce adopted by the 19th International Conference of Labor Statisticians (October 2013).
- Household survey. Methodology for calculating indicators of household income and resources has been approved. It includes the concept (methodological basis) of income indicators that are calculated by the EU countries on a harmonised basis.
- Statistics of foreign trade. The updated Methodological Regulations on International Merchandise Trade Statistics (Order No. 413 of the State Statistics Committee of December 25, 2013), which prepared on the basis of the statistical recommendations of the UN Statistical Commission “Statistics of International Trade in Goods: Concepts and Definitions, 2010”, were introduced into statistical practice.
- In accordance with the Memorandum of Understanding, the State Statistics Committee continues to provide Eurostat with the Comext database monthly information on the volumes of foreign trade in goods at the level of 8 characters of the Harmonised System (HS-2012) in euro. The exchange of data on foreign trade statistics with EU member states (Austria, Bulgaria, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and the Czech Republic) continues.
- Energy statistics. The European practice of price monitoring for natural gas supplied to the final customers was introduced (State Statistics Service of Ukraine Order No. 253 of December 28, 2016). Conditions were created for price monitoring for natural gas and electricity for industrial and domestic consumers in accordance with the EU standards.
- Statistics of financial institutions. Methodological provisions for organising structural surveys of credit institutions - banking and non-banking - were approved (Order of the State Statistics Committee of December 30, 2014 No. 412). Its provisions and methods comply with the Regulation of the EP and the Council (EU) No. 295/2008.
- Methodological provisions for organizing a structural survey of insurance companies (Order of the State Statistics Committee of 29.09.2015 № 225) were approved. The document introduced in the Ukrainian statistical practice a methodology for structural statistics compiling for insurance companies, as articulated by the requirements of EU legislation, in particular Regulation (EU) No. 295/2008 of the EP and the Council of the EU.
- A new tool for state statistical monitoring of the activities of collective accommodation facilities has been approved (State Statistics Service Order No. 151 of 16 July 2018), which is harmonized with Regulation (EU) No. 692/2011 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 6 July 2011 on European tourism statistics, which is expected to improve statistical reporting on tourism issues in accordance with European and international standards, including the recommendations of the world tourism organization.
- The Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine approved the Program of development of state statistics until 2023 (Resolution No. 222 of February 27, 2019), which defines the strategic directions and objectives of state statistics, as well as the expected results and which aims to reform the state statistics to meet the needs of society in objective and impartial statistical information.
- At the meeting of the Commission on the improvement of methodology and reporting documentation of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine dated 17.08.2018 No. 15 an analytical report on methodological approaches to determine the system of indicators, sources of information and international practice to assess the volume of final energy consumption by households for the purposes of appointment, which will be used in the preparation of the methodology of relevant calculations, was approved.